Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tips for Running in the Heat

I ran again the other day in the heat.  I waited until pretty late in the evening and although I started off on the road, I headed into the forest as soon as I could in order to beat the heat.  It was 7:00 p.m. and I was as hot as anything.  It was unbelievable.  I was able to get through my 14K run, but I was much slower than usual as I had to take many walking breaks.  This time I had brought quite a large bottle of water with me, but I drained it all by 9K and wished I had more.  I had even hydrated really well that day, I thought.  It didn't seem to be enough. 

So I was very happy to read this article in The Hamilton Spectator with some really good tips about ways to keep cool while running in the heat.  There were some things I hadn't thought about, such as having a cool shower prior to running, keeping your hair wet, and bringing a spray bottle to spray your face, neck and underarms in order to cool you down.  Another great idea was to freeze a water bottle before you go so you can roll it over your face and hands.  I love it!  I need to be able to train in this weather so now I feel like I can better handle the hot weather.  Bring it on, heat!  But be gentle.

http://www.thespec.com/living/healthfitness/article/752520--keeping-your-cool-in-the-heat

No comments:

Post a Comment