Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Easy Overnight Oatmeal

I am not a morning person. I would rather do my exercising in the early evening. When we have bootcamp on Saturday mornings I find it difficult to even get there on time. The biggest motivation I have for getting out the door is that latecomers often have to wear the dreaded weighted vest. You do not want the weighted vest.

I'm also not the most organized person when it comes to having all my gear ready for early morning exercise. I'm often racing up and down the stairs trying to find clean clothes and turning cupboards upside-down looking for shot-blocks, tablets and almonds to bring with me.

When I stumbled upon recipes for overnight oatmeal I was very interested. If I could eliminate making breakfast I'd have more time to search for socks.

There are many recipes for overnight oatmeal out in blogland, some include using a crock-pot overnight for a warm breakfast. That sounds great, but I'm all for fewer dishes to wash. That's one of the main reasons that I opted for the cold version stored overnight in the refrigerator.

Also, to me, it tastes a bit like raspberry cobbler with cream and desert for breakfast is always a bonus.

Easy Overnight Oatmeal

1 cup frozen raspberries
1 serving plain low-fat yogurt (regular or Greek)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup oatmeal

Pour all ingredients into a container with a lid. Close the lid and shake until everything is mixed and coated with yogurt. Place in refigerator overnight. In the morning just grab a spoon.

This is my favourite version, but you can change it up in any number of ways:

  • Any kind of fruit will do, but I think frozen works best as it adds liquid as it thaws.
  • You can add mashed banana in the morning.
  • Nuts, cereals, raisins or other dried fruit and seeds are probably best added in the morning so they don't go soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment