Wednesday, June 13, 2012

And This is Why I Love to Run

It was almost the run that never was.  Last night I thought idly about running early the next morning.  I'd just had boot camp, and I was tired, and I hadn't gotten to bed early, so I wasn't sure.

I used to be a morning person, but (strangely) that was before I had kids.  Now I work part-time and many of those shifts are 7 - 3, which feels terribly early.  Usually one of my main goals in life right now is to be able to sleep in (meaning until at least 7 a.m.!).  But I would have to run early before my husband went to work.  Anyway, I decided to just play it by ear.

I woke up in the morning and it seemed so bright outside that I thought I'd slept too long, but when I looked at the clock, it was only 6:15 a.m.  I was still on the fence, frankly, but when I went out to get the paper it was such a beautiful morning that I said to myself, "Right.  That's it.  I'm going for a run."

It was a nice cool morning, which was amazing after the last heat-fest I'd run in.  I felt great!  Whereas with the last run I felt like I just couldn't make my legs do what I wanted them to do, this time I felt like I couldn't stop. 

Running is never easy - well, let me rephrase that. Running is never easy on an uphill, but it can still have those 'effortless' feeling moments. I love those.  And because running is challenging, I feel a great sense of accomplishment.  I've also seen progress, which keeps me motivated to continue.

Before stepping out for the run, I had all these thoughts in my mind about what errands I was going to be able to do that day while still making sure my daughter had a fun day.  I was thinking about groceries and laundry, and what I had to do that evening at work.  But all these worries left my mind as soon as I was running.  I just noticed the fresh air and the greenery.

I love trail running because it makes me happy to be surrounded by trees and green things.  I love that being able to run means I can go far in a short time and see so many beautiful sights.

I felt like I was going a very fast pace - I didn't have a watch on but I know it was a good sub-30 5K from the clock in the house.

When I returned to the house I felt wide awake and full of energy.  I noticed how the colour of our garage door looked so nice in the bright sunlight (I know - I can't believe it either) and I noticed the colour of the pink roses against the brick.  As soon as I stepped inside my boys started complaining about each other, but I didn't yell and it didn't faze me at all.   I felt very calm.

Running is very therapeutic.  It is good for my body and my mind.  I felt very happy and content. I poured a large mug of coffee, put my favourite group on the iPod (Of Monsters and Men) and started the shower, feeling like my day had started off in the best way possible.  This is why I love to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment