Monday, July 2, 2012

Burnt Point Loop Trail (Side Trail off main Bruce Trail)

On Canada Day weekend I did the Burnt Point Loop Trail in Tobermory. It is a beautiful trail.  It is extremely hard.  It's so fun!  It's only 3.9 K, but it seems much longer because it's highly technical and it winds around all over the place.  You have to go on the main Bruce Trail to get to it, so you can use it as part of a longer run.  I ran to it from our cottage and then back, giving me a nice 10K run. 

The trail is all pine needles and moss, and is literally covered in rocks and roots, sometimes entwined together.  Often you cannot tell where the trail is at all; you have to constantly look for the blue rectangles on the trees to see where you need to go next. 

If it was a ski hill, it would be a black diamond of some sort, I'm sure.  You must be very careful with your footing.  You're continually leaping over things, whether large rocks or stumps or branches.  It's a great workout.

I also love how you get so many different kinds of terrain on this trail.  There are a couple of short boardwalks, and there are two parts of the trail where you have to run across rocky beaches.  The views of both the water and the forest are amazing.  There are some very interesting trees.

It was fun to run headlong down this trail; it was like dancing very fast with difficult footwork.  I almost felt like I would fall many times but the fact that I didn't was a rush.  Great trail.









No comments:

Post a Comment