Monday, July 9, 2012

Heat + Humidity = Not Pretty

The humidity today is horrendous. At one point I think it was 85%, then it went down to about 65%. But I'm not here to talk about the weather, I'm here to talk about boot camp with humidity. It is not a pretty sight.

I know that sweat angels have already been discussed, but today set the record. I was dripping puddles during burpees and sliding on the mats during push-ups. It was extremely difficult. At one point during a short break Jen got back up and started again, saying, "I just want to get this over with." I completely agreed. It was one of those days when you were wiped out from just walking across the gym.

Two days ago I sent my oldest son out to a biking club in similar weather conditions. They went up a gigantic hill and by the top he was exhausted. The instructor told me he asked what was wrong and my son could only reply that his face was on fire. He drank some water, rested, then continued to the downhill and had a great time. I was thinking of that tonight. If he could persevere through this weather, I could too. Only my face was not on fire, I was drowning.

I'm finding it so hard to keep exercising in the heat. Even swimming isn't doing it for me. This was one of the last boot camp classes for this session and I'm worried that over the summer I will lose every bit of muscle mass I've gained. It is that thought alone that may make me brave the wall of humidity and just get it over with. But man is it difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment