Sunday, April 28, 2013

Very Specific Things I've Learned While Training for an Ultramarathon



1)  You're supposed to take in at least 20 oz water per hour (of course water intake depends on many different variables such as heat, humidity, weight, amount of sweat and so on).  All I can say is: hydrate.

2)  You're supposed to take in about 200 - 300 calories per hour.  Ensure they are calories that are easy on your stomach.  (Of course this also depends on height, weight, distance, and so on.  I know, I know - I can only be SO specific!)

3) Fuel while you can, before you get too tired.

4) Start off slow and steady so you have enough energy to finish.

5) Dr. Scholl's has a box of Blister Treatment pads that are like band aids - not only do they heal blisters quickly but they prevent them.  Since I got one bad blood blister on a run, I've been using them before every long run and I haven't gotten another blister.

6) Remember to tie your shoes correctly!



7) To get the plasticky taste out of your camelback water pack, run white vinegar through it, then rinse.

8)  Enjoy the journey, not just the ending.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment