Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What I Have Learned So Far While Training for a 50K Trail Run







1)   You need to be able to bring enough water.  I'm using a backpack.  It has to be comfortable.  For awhile I was trying to carry enough water bottles and I was stashing bottles.  Not good enough and a big pain in the butt.  Splurge on a good 'camelback' type carrier.

2)   Whole food is working well for me, such as Brazil nuts and dates, dark chocolate, fruit, Larabars and pureed food (okay, yes, it's baby food.  It works!).

3)  Good trail shoes are absolutely mandatory.

4)  Good music on your iPod and lots of it - also mandatory.  And it helps to have comfortable earbuds too.

5)  Bring chapstick.

6)  Wear comfortable layers.  When you're running for hours in a row, the temperature often changes and it's best to be prepared.

7) Wear sunglasses or a least a hat for some sun protection.

8)  Know your route ahead of time. Seems simple but this would have saved me a few frustrating moments trying to figure out where the heck I'm going and how long it would make my run.

9)  Ensure you know how to safely run downhill.  Google it.

10)  Enjoy the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment