Thursday, April 11, 2013

How About Fuelling with Whole Food on a Run?











When I first started running long distances, I used gels and chews to keep up my energy.  Lately I've been thinking more about using whole food.  On my last long run, I realized that taking dates and Brazil nuts has really worked for me.  I haven't had any GI issues at all during the training runs.    And okay, I'll admit it, I am totally addicted to dates.  They're so sweet!  And yet natural!  (I'm going to have to face my addiction another day - after my 50K run.)

Once on a run my friend had brought watermelon.  Arguably it's not easy to carry around watermelon, but I'll tell you, it tasted so good and was amazingly hydrating.  You've got to love that, right?  I mean, you wouldn't want to chow down on kale.  But a soft food?  Bring it on.

In some ways it is easier to take along bars, and Larabars are awesome and really are just dates and nuts together anyway.  You can also keep track of your caloric intake better with bars. 

I've tried dark chocolate but sometimes when you're running hard, you can't really choke back food like that. 

I have recently read about how some runners use pureed baby food!  Who would have thought?

I'm going to try this.  I also bought some organic Clif gels to use in case I really feel I just can't chew on anything.

Mostly though, I'm going to keep trying my luck with whole food.  What do you eat when you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment