Friday, August 31, 2012

A Well-Rounded Athlete

I love to run, but I also love my boot camp classes.  I am very addicted to both.  I was wondering whether I should just focus on one, since I would like to run a marathon in my near future, but I am happy to report that I've learned that cross-training is best for me.

In fact, it is likely that it corrected my IT band problems, as they have completely disappeared.  I wasn't sure whether it was that I improved my running stance or what, but an article in the Hamilton Spectator entitled 'Variety is the Key' (August 2012) states that IT band problems can be due to a weak core.

A runner cited in the article stated that while training for a marathon he ran so much that he injured himself before he could even race.

Since I've been doing boot camp exercises that focus on strengthening the core, this is probably why I've had not a single twinge of knee pain for over a year!  Hurrah for core strengthening.  I knew those push ups and planks must be good for something.  Let's plank some more!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment