Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sulphur Springs 25K

I’m celebrating. Yesterday I reached the goal I had set for the 25K Sulphur Springs Trail Race. I had wanted to run it in 3 hours and I did, well to be exact. At first I started over-thinking that extra minute, wishing I had pushed a tiny bit more, but it is only 60 seconds. I shaved 22 minutes off my last time, and as far as I’m concerned it was a success.

Of course there were challenges leading up to the big day. I’ve been suffering from a crazy bout of insomnia. With about two weeks of fighting to sleep I was pretty exhausted. I’m also proud to say that despite the lack of zzz’s, I pushed through and made my time.

Sulphur Springs is my usual running route so I knew the course pretty well. It is a beautiful area filled with seas of blue forget-me-not and purple phlox this time of year. The course has two really killer hills, one is called the “Three Sisters” – you know when a hill is named it is going to hurt. The other is Martin Hill, right off the start/finish line. It seems to go on forever. I saw very few people run these hills.

I set off at a pretty good pace and made the first 5K in 31 minutes, including walking Martin Hill. At 10K I looked at my watch and was happy to see I had done it in . Those times alone made the race a success for me.

Unfortunately, after 10K I hit a wall. My time slowed for the next 6K or so as my legs took a beating. Usually my legs hold out while my breathing falters, but this time my legs felt like lead. I dreaded the hills and walked more of them than I had planned.

I popped jelly bean electrolytes and tablets and gulped liquids at the aid stations. I thought my hopes of making three hours were over. But as I neared the last loop I looked at my watch and realized my goal time was still possible. I visualized the long downhill that I knew came after the Three Sisters, knowing that was the biggest break I would get.

It was humid and hot and I felt chills from dehydration. The downhill felt great, but I was faltering again as I hit the last aid station before the final push up Martin hill. I walked the hill for the second time and near the top I saw my oldest son at the side of the road, then I heard my family and friends cheering me on. That gave me incentive to run to the finish line with the last of my energy. It was great to be done, all I wanted was shade and a place to sit down.

My only real disappointment was the food. There was no food at the aid stations, only liquids. Also, this was the 20th Anniversary of the race and I read how the post-race food was going to be great. One apple, a muffin and one bottle of water is not great. I gulped down the bottle I was given and was grateful my husband had brought some more.

After a short rest, I went out celebrating and had a wonderful, full day. Now I’m looking toward my next race and thinking about upping my game to complete the 50K next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment