Monday, May 14, 2012

Becoming a Runner/Emerging from the Haze of New Motherhood

I distinctly remember the moment.  My youngest child was finished with diapers.  I realized that with having three young children in close succession, I had been changing diapers for eight years.  Eight years!  (Hmmm.  I don't think I'm getting paid enough.)  Since I was also done with breastfeeding, I was finally getting some sleep.
Not wonderful sleep.  I mean, I still had three young children.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  But I could see a light at the end of the haze of sleeplessness.  (For one brief crazy moment I felt nostalgic for the diaper era, but I quickly moved on.)  I felt like a new woman!  I felt like I had some time on my hands, and that I could finally do something just for myself.  I wanted to get fit again.

Before having children, I had always tried to keep pretty active.  I was never an elite athlete, but I would hike and walk, and go to aerobic classes with an occasional gym membership thrown in there.  But having gained weight with each child, I knew I needed to up the ante.  I wanted to start running.

You see people running down the sidewalk and it looks effortless.  It's not.  It's hard.  But the good news is that it gets easier and easier.  I started off by signing up for a 5K race.  This is very helpful because it motivates you to train.  I ran it and survived, and enjoyed the excitement and atmosphere.  It inspired me to continue training so I could get an even better time the next year.  I did the next one in under 30 minutes (I think 27 minutes).  It's so great to see progress.  I also started feeling better and having more energy.  It's important to have energy when you need to keep up with three active children.  I loved running on the trails; I found it therapeutic both emotionally and physically.  I wanted to keep going.

I vividly remember when my friend said that we would want to do 7K next, and I thought, "Whoa!  Let's just focus on getting the 5K feeling easy."  Now I'm about to do my fourth 25K race, and I'm looking forward to a 32K trail run, and okay I'll say it, a marathon.  I am the fittest now I have ever been, and at almost 41 that feels good.  I'm hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment