Thursday, November 8, 2012

Insert Maniacal Laugh Here

The countdown is on for the Raid the Hammer - a 25km orienteering trail race. Three days to go and I'm wondering if I should be more nervous. Actually, I know I should be more nervous. Instead whenever I think of the race I feel like laughing - maybe I'm just a little hysterical.

I mean, 25km of trying not to get lost. Today, while picking up my kids from school I ran into Jen's husband, he shook his head and said, "What were you guys thinking?" I told him he needed to have more faith. But I think he knows us better.

We are actually pretty well prepared. We have our packs and food all planned, and we all know we can pull off 25km. The distance isn't the thing making me nervous. It is the fact that we have limited experience with a compass and finding our way efficiently using landmarks. That is my polite way of saying we get lost a lot and don't really know how to read a map. However, the race is done in teams of three, and we have picked our third wisely. Really it is our teammate #3, Dwayne, who should be nervous as he is taking on the directionally challenged as teammates. Poor Dwayne, he will be our resident map reader and I will owe him big when this is all over.

In reality, I'm sure we'll do fine. As Dwayne said to me the other day, "There will be some stories to tell." And I'm always in for anything that will make a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment